Tuesday, July 31, 2007

3/09/2006 - Costco Coot

Mar 9, 2006
Costco Coot
Tuesday afternoon the daycare called – Baby A has a fever of 102. So yesterday I stayed home with them and we had a really lovely day. They both have little colds, and turns out Baby A also has an ear infection but the two of them were just the happiest little guys yesterday. So along with visiting the pediatrician, we got to run some errands.

We went to Costco, which by the way is really fabulous to shop in on a Wednesday at 10:30 rather than the utter chaos it is when we go on the weekend. In Costco an older couple stopped me with the exact same conversation everyone has with me in public. Direct from what I now think of as “The Script” - “Oh look at the babies. Are they twins? Both boys? How old are they? Arent they precious? I bet you have your hands full. Are they your first? One is bigger than the other, is he older?” I go through my usual answers. All smiley and friendly as usual, probably even more so since they are an adorable little older couple and they are making such a fuss.

All of a sudden I made a fatal error and mentioned that I am off from work today. Suddenly nice older man says “Work? Well who watches them while you are at work?”

Me – “They go to a wonderful daycare.”

Him - “Daycare? Daycare? Now I don’t believe in daycare!.....”

and on, and on, and on about how he thinks there is something wrong with people who put their kids in daycare, he would never have stood for that in his day, his daughter better never do that when she has kids, Yada, yada, yada SHUT UP. His wife tried to step in and hush him but he was on quite the soapbox.

I did manage to stop gaping open-mouthed and say something like “I would rather be home with them but we cant afford that right now….”

And then I just walked away. Like a lame dog. Of course I drove home thinking about all of the things I SHOULD have said. Like – “Well I have to work because my husband (pick one) died, is in prison, is in the Witness Protection Program and I cant find him.” Or, “Since you want to tell me how to raise my kids, I am going to tell you how to stop wearing your pants up to your nipples and start trimming your nose hair.” Or even, “Who the F do you think you are? Let me see your degree in child rearing?”

I just went home and cried. As if the Mom Guilt I put on myself is not enough, now I got some old coot at Costco telling me I am failing at this mom gig.
Posted by Michele at 3/09/2006 11:26:00 AM
5 comments:
Sharpie said...
Oh honey - I am sorry those old Salt Licks got to you.That Mommy Guilt, she is a powerful lady. Bitch!No matter what we do - she's there like a monkey on our backs. I work at home and STILL get comments - "Oh you didn't do ANYTHING on vaca? Nothing?" No I worked - they played - no big. "how sad" Shut UP!! I am going to try White Trash Moms way - check her out...she has a doesy!!
Mar 9, 2006 12:43:00 PM
nancy said...
Try to ignore such nonsense. It is YOUR family and you are doing what is best for YOUR family, good for you. LMFAO @ nipple high pants and nose hairs.I love Costco - didja buy anything good? (other than dipes & wipes)??
Mar 9, 2006 8:03:00 PM
Sharpie said...
I was just thinking that NEXT time - you fill your cart with Tampons, Condoms and Vagisil and then play with all the boxes next time someone approaches you with their assvice....
Mar 10, 2006 8:53:00 AM
sherry said...
Hon, it sucks. I'm sorry. I think that old coot's brother was at BJ's yesterday, ranting about how he can't understand how some people just don't want kids. Right after he said, "How are you little fella!" to my dressed in purple and pink little Sara.Dumbasses.I've tried, like you, to come up with a handful of snarky comebacks, but it's hard, I know. Because you're disgustingly nice and can't bring yourself to say something mean to a stranger. I am still laughing at Sharpie's idea. Leave it to her to find an alternate use for every feminine hygiene product on the market. Although, her idea WILL get you off the hook.Oh, one other thing, you're SO not failing at this Mom thing. You're doing phenomenally.
Mar 10, 2006 11:49:00 AM
Michele said...
Thanks all for oyur kind words. That dude bugged me all weekend.
Mar 13, 2006 4:20:00 PM

No comments: