Tuesday, July 31, 2007

4/5/06 - Kick me Please

Apr 5, 2006
Kick Me, Please
Will someone please kick me in the head?

When DH and I married we had no kids and no debt, so whatever money I made, I spent. “Wheeee!”

Even when we bought our first house, the mortgage was really manageable so it was still – “Wheee! Payday is Playday!”

Unfortunately I must have spent most of it on crap like pedicures and vacations and sushi, since we never replaced our HORRID furniture. I was waiting for our “real house” to buy furniture. I just knew it would be Big and Fabulous and THEN I would buy the great furniture to adequately honor the Big, New House.

So after one year in the “starter-house” we were sorely hurting from almost 3 years of infertility and took the plunge and built the Big New House. I had just gotten a big raise; we could afford it, yadayada. We move into Big New House and 9 days, NINE FREAKING DAYS, after we settle, I lose my job. We are thrown into major financial chaos. We had almost no savings, since we threw it all into the pot to buy the Big New House. And remember “Wheeee!”? – Well, that wasn’t exactly great training for financial near-disaster.

So I get a minuscule severance package, which oddly enough included medical insurance that COVERED IVF. So there we were, me no job, DH under-employed, and scraping together the money to pay for our Big, New Mortgage, in the single WORST financial shape we have ever, ever been in, and the Golden IVF Goose lands in our lap. So we did it. With almost no money and no plan on how we were going to pay for our Big New House, much less afford diapers and formula, we plunged and we were very, very, VERY lucky to have our twins on the first round.

I still don’t know how we financially survived that year but we did. And we didn’t have to sell any organs or plasma to do it.So the boys are a year old now and I have been working since they were four months old. DH is in a slightly better job but is still underemployed (smart guy who still hasn’t quite recovered from the dot com bust – more on that another time).. We are paying our bills on time, and kids and parents are well fed, warm, dry and happy. Big New House is fine, just woefully under-decorated. We are lucky, and blessed and I have absolutely everything I ever wanted in life (kids, hubby, nice house).

I have no right to complain.But there is very little “Wheeeee” anymore. I am getting used to wearing clothes from three years ago and making do with last years purses but I HATE IT. I never wanted to be the mom who needed her roots done, but I am. I hate my furniture and have taken to swearing at furniture delivery trucks that I see on the road. I am so used to not eating out that I was shocked to learn that the average family eats out four times a week, Four times a week??! How did I grow up to be Ma Ingalls?

So anyway, with all of the horrible things that are happening in the world today, like this, this, and this, I am feeling sorry for myself because I don’t see any “Wheeee!” back in my life for a long time. Hence the need to be kicked in the head, please. Because I am all about karma and I am afraid my “Feeling sorry for myself for no good reason” karma is going to come back and smack me in the face with my “Wanna real reason to feel sorry for yourself, ungrateful brat?” karma.
Posted by Michele at 4/05/2006 08:27:00 AM
6 comments:
Sherry said...
Four times a week? Obviously, these people do NOT have children, let alone twins. I mean, seriously. I'm lucky if I shower four times a week, let alone eat outside of my home.I have no assvice, let alone a smack in the head because I think everything you talk about is totally normal. It's a huge period of adjustment that none of us is prepared for. Just don't turn into Earl and start making a list, ok? Because that mustache? So not becoming on you.
Apr 5, 2006 9:03:00 AM
Sheri said...
ah - this post brings back some happy memories for me. When my husband and were 1st married - we had no concept of savings or even wanted to think about it. We were both in the service, making pretty good money and blowing every penny of it. Eating outevery freakin' meal, traveling, gambling and partying. Oh yes, it was a rude, rude awakening and IT HURT BAD. Lots of WHEEEEEE turned into lots of WAAAHAAAA for me.Love your writing!
Apr 5, 2006 11:14:00 AM
Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...
I have to go to a wedding this weekend, and I had to buy a pair of shoes because all of my "dress shoes" are from 2003 or before.Having twins does horrible things to your wardrobe.
Apr 5, 2006 11:57:00 AM
Sharpie said...
I totally GET the Karma thing - but your kids are small and it IS SO MUCH WORK RIGHT NOW. You are entitled to a "What about me" with no ramifications in the Karma department.
Apr 5, 2006 3:03:00 PM
christine said...
What is so special about new endtables anyway.
Apr 5, 2006 3:12:00 PM
macboudica said...
Just think of it this way: 2 boys would only make new furniture old furniture in less than a heartbeat anyway. And who wants to care that much when they are jumping on that new couch? By the way, thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers. Grandma had surgery late last night and is still in ICU. I haven't been able to get out to see her today, but I am going bright and early tomorrow since it sounds like she will still be in the hospital. They are having problems getting her blood pressure up. Also, yes, my mom is an interesting story. She was so embarrassing yesterday! Honestly, I sometimes wonder who is the child. I am going to be writing about that when I get a chance.
Apr 8, 2006 4:56:00 PM

No comments: