Tuesday, July 31, 2007

5/31/2006 - Karma, Kicking Ass, Mine, Thanks

May 31, 2006
Karma, Kicking Ass, Mine, Thanks
For years I worked in management of different call-center-type places where the staff was, on a good day, unpredictable. Many of the call-center rep’s would burn up their sick time as quickly as they accrued it. As soon as they were there a year, they would apply for FMLA. This guaranteed that they could still take time off (unpaid, but still) and not be penalized for it.

FMLA became a huge joke because any time the weather was gorgeous, or if it really sucked, or if it were the day before or after a holiday weekend, the FMLA call-outs would shoot into the double digits. Despite the fact that there were a few employees who really needed their FMLA protection, the majority were what we termed
F-ire
M-y
L-azy
A-ss.
I scoffed at those FMLA’ers right along with the rest of management. Me and my child-less state, barely using any sick time, ever, and proud to drag myself intro work with a fever of 102 and coughing up a lung because I was RELIABLE AND PROFESSIONAL, DAMN IT!

Knock, knock. “Who is it? “Hi, it’s Karma and I am here for your Ass Kicking.”

Now I am a working mother. And my kids are both sick, again. I had a sobbing meltdown on my way to pick them up from daycare yesterday. Full of Mom Guilt because apparently I left the hospital without stopping by the Mom Department to pick up my Mother’s Intuition when they were born.

Every time I get a call from daycare - “Baby E has a temperature of 102.5 and Baby J has a rash.” - What I actually hear is “What kind of mother are you, anyway? Come get these poor, sick, abandoned children.”

So they are home with Daddy today. He who is already pushing his sick day limit at work. Of course the District Manager is coming today and he will miss a chance to look good at work. Again. But I have no sick time left so we are stuck. Unless I apply for FMLA, which coincidentally I will be eligible for in about three weeks. And I will apply for it because I can’t handle the stress of not being able to be there for my kids when they are sick, and because I don’t want them to
F-ire
M-y
L-earning how hard it is now
A-ss.

Karma, so nice to see you again. Can’t wait to see what lesson you rain down upon me next. Maybe this time the ass bruises can heal first? Yeah, I wont hold my breath.
Posted by Michele at 5/31/2006 11:07:00 AM
6 comments:
Sharpie said...
That's why I count myself lucky every day that I work from home. I would have ALREADY been fired. Sorry its been so rough - it will get better.
May 31, 2006 3:00:00 PM
macboudica said...
I know what you mean. I used to work in HR where I administered the Attendance Policy and FMLA was a big joke there, too. Then I had a really bad pregnancy with my second child that required much time off of work on bedrest. Somehow the FMLA jokes weren't so funny anymore. Another thing, don't feel guilty about sending them off to daycare then getting a call that they are sick. Kids are like that. One minute they are fine, the next they have a 103 degree fever like magic. It doesn't mean you are a bad mommy.
Jun 1, 2006 8:59:00 AM
Amy (binkytown) said...
I can SO IDENTIFY with you! On the FMLA bit at work, the daycare calling me and feeling lousy bit and the karma thing as I freak out when I have to send my boss another email saying I'm leaving- kid is sick! Oh, good times. good times.
Jun 1, 2006 10:05:00 AM
Beth said...
You have such a nice looking blog! I came here off of Sherri's blog. I don't know how you gals do it. I am a SAHM mom so have a HUGE respect for working moms. I don't know how you do that either!
Jun 1, 2006 1:44:00 PM
HomeFireBlue said...
Oh, oh, oh! Worked 10 years in a call center and yeppers ... did my share of poking fun.I'm so sorry the bubs are sick. :( That blows wads.I hope it gets better soon, soon, soon!-Blue (*sending healthy vibes*)
Jun 2, 2006 1:36:00 PM
Sheri said...
Hope everyone is feeling better. I can so realate to what you have said about the guilt. I work out of my home now.... but I do remember those days.You are a great mother.... just human with feelings. Hugz
Jun 4, 2006 6:02:00 PM

No comments: