Sunday, July 29, 2007

So where were we?

So last week my husband took offense to something I posted about his parents. I was trying to be funny, and it was at the expense of his parents and I hurt his feelings. I felt terrible, and the fact is it wasn't even that funny. We had a big argument about it and about what was "funny" and what was "disrepectful". It went on for a while and I thought we had finally reached closure and then, as it sometimes does when feelings are hurt, the whole thing blew up again.

In a fit of self-pity and as a protest to censorship, I deleted my entire blog right before leaving work Friday evening. The whole damn almost two years of thoughts, gripes, whines, and musings. It felt good for about 3 seconds, then I cried all the way home when I realized that along with all of the stupid memes, whining about being broke, and rants about bad bras, I also lost alot of wonderful stuff about my kids and my husband. Stuff that I cant recreate. Stuff I was proud of.

I had a few things I was able to salvage via google reader. A very few. I have rebuilt what I could, skipping over alot of crappy posts and just saving stuff that I liked and felt represented the me that I am now. I lost all of your funny and thoughtful comments too, which is like losing my blog identity.

So now my whole life has come down to about 17 posts. A fresh start, but not without some major regret over what I lost.

Thanks for stopping by.

14 comments:

Swistle said...

Maybe this is what you already did, but sometimes you can find stuff by Googling yourself, then clicking "cached" to find the old copy of the page (instead of following the link, which would now be dead). You can also try clicking "similar pages" since Google doesn't show ALL the pages it finds, just a sampling.

Swistle said...

I don't know how long it keeps cached copies--I'd hurry, just in case.

Binky said...

Oh, that SUCKS! That really, really sucks. My husband has been able to find deleted blogs via some Web site that keeps a cache of inactive sites. It's sketchy on some levels, but it could help you. I'm trying to email him and call him to get the address of the Web site, but haven't reached him yet. I'll let you know when I find it out.

Binky said...

P.S. The site I'm thinking of isn't Google...I think it's completely separate from that. But looking at the cached stuff on Google is definitely a good starting place, like swistle suggested.

Julie R said...

After your post on Friday, I feared the worst when the link on my blog stopped working.

Glad you're back. Hope you can recover more of you lost self.

Binky said...

Got it! It's www.archive.org

Erica said...

I'm glad you're back. I missed Friday's post and when I tried to visit, you were gone.

I've been there, done that. It feels like exactly the right, self-righteous, indignant thing to do when you delete your blog, but then regret sets in immediately.

I'm looking forward to reading the new memories you share with us.

Swistle said...

Okay, I asked my techy husband. Here's what you do. Go to Google. In the search field, type:

site:swistle.blogspot.com

But your old site name where I typed "swistle". You'll get a list of really good stuff. Then remember to click on the CACHED link after each entry, because the link itself will bring you nowhere happy.

Mrs. Chicken said...

poop! But I'll change my subscription so I can read your new stuff.

MrsGrumpy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. And I'm glad there appear to be some ways for you to "catch" some of it. My husband has made a habit of searching for me on the web...and having problems with what I type. I have told him, at those times, to stop looking for trouble. It is my diary, per se', and I don't really want to sugar coat it. Then again, I did change blogs because my Mother in law found my old one.

binkytown said...

Oh jeez. I suffer from impulsive-icity myself. I hope that argument blew over. Here's to new beginnings.

Sharpie said...

Sorry Sweetie - that really sucks!! Remember when I thought my inlaws had found me out?? I started copying all of my entries to a word document so I had it before I deleted the whole damn thing. Maybe that is a good back-up??

Anyway - here's to new beginnings right???? Bigger and better!!

Michele said...

You guys ROCK! I was able to recover almost all of the posts I really regretted deleting! I am so relieved. I am just in search on one last one and if I could find that my mid-blog crisis could comepletely be put to rest.

Now I need to figure out how I will categorize all of this stuff...

Sheri said...

yeah! I'm so glad you were able to find all your stuff.

I enjoy your blog immensely!