Monday, July 30, 2007

Some Whine with the Wine

Somebody come and play
Somebody come and play today
Somebody come and smile the smiles
And sing the songs
It won't take long
Somebody come and play today
Somebody come with me and see the pleasure in the wind
Somebody see the time is getting late to begin
Somebody come and play
Somebody come and play today
Somebody come and be my friend
And watch the sun 'till it rains again
Somebody come and play today

I am pretty pathetic when watching Ernie sing this on Sesame Street this morning made me cry.

My sister is moving away this weekend. Not that far. Just about 2 hours away but it may as well be to China because I am losing my “What are you doing for lunch?” – “Wanna go to Target?” - “Can you pick me up at the car dealer?” buddy. I am losing my last local friend. My other sister moved 6 hours away a few years ago. My closest non-family friend lives over 2 hours away by plane. I do have other friends. Work friends, college friends, see once a year friends. But no one really close. No one I can just drop in on. I don’t know how it happened. I used to be so social. But I guess changing jobs three times in the last three years, along with moving as many times, and having twins, which reduced my social life to, well, nada, has taken a toll.

How do you make new friends? It was so easy when I was a kid. My current job is very isolating. I work with a small group. Really nice people but no one I could shoe-shop with. THEY DON’T EVEN DRINK COFFEE! My kids are too young yet to be in sports or any kind of classes where I would meet other moms, and working full time has eliminated my play-group time. My neighbors seem like nice people but I don’t know how to go from “New car? Very nice.” To “Hey wanna split a bottle of wine on my front porch?”

Yes, I have you wonderful fellow bloggers. But I don’t even know your real names. Its just not the same. But I do have some nice pinot grigio in the fridge if you are free tonight. The porch is always open.

No comments: