Thursday, August 23, 2007

Channeling my Inner Mrs. Cunningham

Does it cheese anyone else off that they just ignored the existence of their oldest son Chuck after the first season?

Sometimes a girl just needs some comfort food, so here is a recipe. It takes like 10 minutes to assemble, then cooks for about an hour while you lounge about eating Ghirardelli Chocolate Squares and reading InStyle magazine while your husband and kids do the yard work.

Despite my banner, I am going to quote my Mother in Law with this great, easy, total comfort food recipe. I actually crossed the invisible anonymity line on Urban Baby yesterday when I sent this to a few people who asked for it.

(Hey, if you are one of those Urban Baby people, who found my blog via the email address, welcome, and please don’t out me on UB for being fat and middle class. Those rich, skinny moms will ban me for life, and then where will I get my inane Name Poll fix?!)

Swedish Meatballs. Ala MIL
(This feeds at least four adults, probably six. It fed four of us for two nights. I love leftovers)

1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used 4C seasoned breadcrumbs, but whatever blows your skirt up)
1 egg
1 cup half and half (I KNOW!, but the meatballs are so tender)

1 large onion, sliced thin
1 can Beef Consume (Campbells, in the soup aisle)
1 T dried parsley
1 cup water.
1/4 c. flour

350 degree oven

Mix 1st four ingredients well, then form into small meatballs (walnut size I use a little ice cream scoop I got when I pimped Pampered Chef stuff years ago) and bake in 9x13 pan for about 25 minutes.

While they are baking, mix water, beef consumme and flour in very large saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until it starts to thicken (about 10 minutes or so, you will notice) then add onions and parsley and keep at low simmer until meatballs are done in oven.

Take meatballs out of oven and put them in the sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes on medium low heat. Serve over egg noodles. Enjoy!


Note to other multi-taskers, I doubled the meatballs and only used half for Swedish meatballs. I took the other half, formed the meatballs and froze them on a tray and then put them in a plastic freezer bag. I will use them this weekend in pasta sauce.

1 comment:

JMC said...

This sounds good and easy, just the way I like things! And I ALWAYS double and freeze, because that makes the second time EVEN EASIER!! And nothing can ever be too easy... um, when it comes to cooking, I mean.