Tuesday, August 28, 2007

New Change-Resistant Fabric!!

I have a job interview this Friday. It is a great opportunity to go from being a lowly contractor to a “real” full time employee with better benefits, more vacation and even (gasp!) a pension.

The problem is, I really like my current job and have settled most comfortably into this safe, cozy niche. I have been hoping for two years now that one of the “real” full time positions doing what I already do would open up, but so far no one in the job I want is budging.

The new job would be a stretch for me, but a good learning opportunity. And possibly, but not definitely, it could also mean a little more money.

Yes, I know, on paper it looks like I would be a fool to not be jumping up and down at “more vacation, better benefits, a pension (hey, with 40 staring me in the face, a girl has to think about stuff like that!)”.

But I hate change. I am great at handling change, but it is generally thrust upon me, and not something I actively seek.

I need a pep talk.

5 comments:

bnkytown said...

MORE VACATION is reason enough to get a new job if you ask me, but that aside, change is good. It's not always easy, but I found myself in your position this time last year. I liked my job, but one was opening which I knew would benefit me long term, even if I didn't love it. But I do. A LOT. Im so glad I did it. I have a new job I like, more money (and more vacation) and more experience. It is all good!

Type (little) a said...

Sounds like you've given this a lot of thought. You can do it. And isn't it better to be moving FORWARD and being (cringe, i hate this word) proactive, rather than just reacting when change is thrown your way?

It's is of course entirely possible that I am full of shit.

But you did ask for a pep talk! LOL

a happier girl said...

I fear change too. Stuff I know is comfortable and easy. And I make up lots of good excuses to avoid it. But you never know, you might end up liking the new job even more than your current job. You can do it!

Swistle said...

I don't like change, either. What I do is I think, "In x amount of time, I will be looking back on this and the whole changing part will be over and I will be glad I plowed through it."

Sharpie said...

*pep talk starting*

There are no accidents in life. Opportunity comes when it comes whether we are seeking it out or not and the tough choices are those. Weight the good and the bad - see which side it falls. Make your choice. The sit back and marvel that you even waivered. It is always the right choice.