Monday, January 7, 2008

Stuff I thought Came Later. Much, Much, Later.

A few weeks ago one of the boys looked up at me with his angelic face, sweet dimples and trusting blue eyes and said, solemnly,

"Mommy, we do not say "Fuck it".

Stunned, and trying not to laugh I said, "No, we sure don't."

Again he regarded me with his most serious face and repeated, "We don't say "Fuck It".

In the next day or two, the subject came up a few more times, and each time it went pretty much the same way, he informing me, gravely, what we don't say, and me agreeing that he was correct.

I knew he hadn't heard it from me, and although I far exceed my husband in profanity, I did check with him and he was also unaware of the origin of the "Fuck It" rule. I mentioned it to his daycare lady, who was equally stunned and amused by it, as I had been. She wasn't aware of any recent F-bombs among the 2-3 year olds, but would keep an ear out. We figured that one of the other children may have said it in the presence of another day care employee and my son, overhearing the discussion, filed it away for later use.

Don't even get me started on the latest Boob Fascination that both the boys have. I know that it is normal at this age for them to be noticing and mentioning the differences among people's bodies, but having two boys chase me down the hall yelling "Let me see your boobies!" kind of freaks me out.

Bad enough that their father does it.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Too funny... I was laughing until I cried over that. When our daughter was small (2 or 3) she made up a "song". It went something like this-"Papa (her grandpa) says dammit, Papa says dammit, Papa says dammit all the time..." As a way to get away with saying a risque word.

sherry said...

THAT, my friend is funny. For me, of course, not so much for you.

I heard Max say, "Dayyyyyyyyyum!" today, which he likely got from our southern-born friend/adopted uncle.

Crap. We're screwed, lady.

Girl said...

I spit a little on my monitor.

Jerseygirl89 said...

Oh, that's so much better than when my daughter says, "Mommy! Don't say damn!"

LiteralDan said...

I just wanted to point out that you mistyped the link to this post at Dad Gone Mad, in case you want to re-comment.

I'm glad I found it manually, though-- this is hilarious, and reminds me very much of my son. We're always kept informed of things that are not appropriate, either by statements or leading questions, over and over again.