Thursday, March 13, 2008

Give Silda a Break



I would have dumped him hard. Lawyered up, taken him for every penny, and then booked myself with Matt Lauer for an in-depth interview, and then Oprah for some healing. Perhaps a book deal.

But she didn't. For whatever reason, be it a sense of loyalty to the father of her children, or an attempt to save face, or as some people have intimated, a well-paid last obligation as first lady of New York. She had her reasons.

But since she did do what she did, and did it on TV, in two different press conferences, we all feel entitled to comment on it. And I for one am a bit perturbed by some of the commentary I have seen on her - how she is Harvard educated and a fool and how could she do this and demean women? One jackass even blamed her. Blah, blah, sanctimonious, self-serving BLAH!

I, for one, would have killed him before there was time for a press conference. But no one know what happens in a marriage. No one know what other people suck up and deal with for the sake of the kids. Or to preserve their lifestyle. Or because it is easier to look the other way than to deal with the ugly truth of the situation and what it would take to leave. Lots of women and men make the same decision every day. To stand by their spouse, even in the face of cheating and lying and dishonor. They just don't have to do it on TV. Instead they go on with their lives as if everything is fine, posing for family Christmas card pictures and making vacation plans and keeping it all shiny, happy and perfect on the outside.

Everyone has dirty laundry. Silda just had to wear hers in front of us. Instead of slamming Silda, lets all just be grateful we don't have any hooker-related press conferences in our near future.

9 comments:

Suz said...

Not that we know of, at any rate.

I agree with you here.

Sharpie said...

I agree - he would have been dead LONG before the press conference.

I'll bail you out - if you bail me....

Michele said...

Sharpie -

I got you covered!

Laura said...

You said it so very well, Michele. When I look at pictures of her before...and then after, I hurt for her so badly. And I really hate the "trot the wife up to the podium" show. It happened here in Michigan, recently, with the Mayor of Detroit. I could go on and on with this but I won't. I hope you are well...and...I never ban people for sharing their opinions with me. I think you are wonderful.

Shelly said...

At least if it happened to us, there wouldn't be a press conference. That is one distinct advantage of being a nobody. I don't think any person who is in the public eye for a scandal created by their spouse deserves criticism. It's pretty clear that they have not chosen to be there. They are doing whatever they can to get through it. I haven't been watching the coverage and I don't know what Silda has done or said, but frankly, the only one that I would ever criticize is her husband. He is the one who has committed a crime!

Patois said...

Very well said.

DC Metro Mommy.com said...

Love your blog! I can't find your contact info. I wanted to find out if you would be interested in blogging on my website.

www.dcmetromommy.com
info@dcmetromommy.com

that chick said...

it's just the clinton thing all over again, isn't it? i don't understand it but i'm seeing a pattern.

Becky at Swirling Vortex said...

So sad! And I agree - no one knows what they will do until it happens to them. And let's hope it never does.